Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Flat 12 Amber Ale


Take me out to the ball game take me out to the crowd. Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jack, I don't care if I ever get back.

I don't care if I ever get back either. Other than actually playing the game, the best part of softball is beer in gallon jugs. Not only do they have your traditional domestics, they have some local stuff too. Not every bar is willing to carry local stuff, so I have to give a shout out to Midwest Sports Complex in Indianapolis. They do a great job with the game and the beers.

Tonight I had the pleasure of doing a GALLON of Flat 12 Amber Ale. Flat 12 Amber, or Hello My Name is Amber, is a 5.8% abv. The jug did not have IBUs. It's a tasty amber. It has a beautiful red-brown color with just a little bit of head on top even after being poured into a jug, then out of a jug. The smell is bready with some caramel. Despite the aroma the flavor is surprisingly crisp and there's a pretty strong hop profile for an amber. I was expecting more malty characteristics that you find in traditional amber ales. This one was more like a pale ale that wasn't so pale. The moutfeel and overall vibe was lighter than your average red or amber. The malts are light and toasty but have a slightly burnt flavor to them and are not too sweet which was nice. The hops are strong in this one. Giving you a distinct finish to the beer.
It was light, but even still it may have been too heavy to drink while playing softball. After three of us had half the jug I was moving pretty slowly and I move slowly to begin with... by the end of the game and the end of the jug I just kinda wanted to die, but that's my fault not the beer's. It is never the beer's fault

This is a great summer amber. It has a unique flavor for the style. If you are into the hoppy beers I totally recommend you give this a try.

I give it a 3








O-Dawg: I have had the distinct pleasure of having this little wonder off of both the Nitro draft, regular draft, and bottles.  Each and every time I have had it I always come to the same conclusion, "Nice Solid Amber!"  Not something I would actively seek out, but if it is on tap I would have one.

If I were doing the labeling I would have sprung for something more like Brigitte Nielsen in Red Sonja meets The Girl Next Door.  Wait, that is kinda what they did didn't they...

3.5 Above the average and great compliment to the line up at Flat 12 Bierworks!


No comments:

Post a Comment